When God gives you another year to live, appreciate it.
On March 3rd, I turned 27. And if it weren’t for my beautiful mother and confident father, I wouldn’t be here.
If my father was alive, he’d call me at 4:45 am—joy ringing in his tone—and ask, “do you feel any older?” In the past, I would laugh and say, “no Dad, I feel the same.”
But now, in this breadth of time, I’d chuckle through my morning voice and reply:
“I don’t feel older, Dad, but I do feel growth.”
I’m starting to see the seeds that have been planted over the years subtly sprout all around me. The poems scribbled through the hands of my 11-year-old-self. My mother’s belief—which felt more like a promise—that I could do anything I set my heart in. My father at family gatherings reciting poetry with a vibrato that seemed to have a voice of its own.
Birthdays and reflection seem to be synonymous. Although there’s still much to be learned, I made a list of life gems I want my future self to keep in mind. Thought I’d share them with you too.
40 Essential Life Lessons I Want My Future Self to Remember
1. Self-love is as vital as water.
2. Your mind + thoughts are, too.
3. Do “it,” even when you don’t feel like doing it.
4. Be grateful, it brings more blessings.
5. Keep your eyes on your garden, not everyone else’s grass.
6. Dreams are meaningful, appreciate them.
Related post: Unlearning Unhealthy Habits
7. Spend time with yourself without distractions.
8. Dedicate time to your loved ones.
9. Surround yourself with people that uplift you.
10. Know what works for you, do that + do it well.
11. Set, and keep, your boundaries.
12. Not all advice is good advice: trust yourself.
13. But first, trust God. He’s gotten you this far + He’s not going anywhere.
14. Remember God reveals things to you that others won’t understand because it was meant for you to understand.
15. It doesn’t matter if it’s been done before, because it hasn’t been done by you.
16. Act on your ideas, you’ll learn more that way.
17. Set big goals + make small steps towards achieving them.
18. Write down your goals for the day every day.
Related post: Why Writing Down Your Vision Is Powerful.
19. Acknowledge what you admire in others + learn from them.
20. Speak your story, especially if it scares you.
21. Face the things that make you uncomfortable.
22. Go to art, poetry + music shows regularly, helps you stay inspired.
23. Be flexible when things don’t go as planned.
24. Journal, journal, journal. Your future self will love you for it.
25. Trust yourself + ideas enough to follow through.
26. Listen to constructive criticism.
27. But don’t let anyone else’s criticism cripple you, including your own.
27. Keep your self-talk positive.
Related post: Speak Life + Love into You.
29. Your peace is priority. Point.Blank.Period.
30. Take a break when necessary.
Add this canvas to your wall decor as an every day reminder of self-worth.
31. Don’t feel obligated to explain yourself.
32. Stay grounded in your values.
33. Mind what you consume on a daily basis.
34. Limit time on social media.
35. Admit when you’re wrong + apologize.
36. Take inventory of your energy throughout the day.
37. Talking to yourself is healthy + necessary.
38.Take time to breathe + stretch every day, even if it’s for 5 minutes.
Related post: 10-Minute Stretch Routine
39. Stay active.
40. Don’t complain about what you have to do, just do it.
Which life lessons resonate with you the most? Any gems you want to add? Let’s chat in the comments. 💛
👇🏾Like if you can relate to these lessons.